Friday, January 27, 2012

5 Minute Friday: Tender



Time for 5 Minute Friday again at Gypsy Mama. Which is good, because it has been a day to be outside soaking up sun and warmth and I am grabbing a few stolen minutes of quiet before the dinner prep begins.

Today's Prompt: Tender

GO

We have spent the week studying Colossians 3:12-14. Discussing ways to have compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, patience, forgiveness and love. And some days I just stand and wonder what I am doing in raising these man-cubs. They run wild and play rough and speak loud and laugh crazy and explode with anger. And I too am dealing with my own stuff and know too well the ways I fail to model these tender things. I know when I too bubble over and snap impatient and turn selfish.

All too often I think, How in the world am I to raise these boys to men?

God encourages though. He shows me glimpses of the grace that is growing in their hearts. Today we gloried in the unseasonably warm air. We hiked back roads of a friends farm and yes, the boys ran wild and stomped muddy and pushed each other over and battled with sticks and spoke unkindly. But as we hiked back for lunch I looked up the road and there was my 6 year old son ("practically 7 mama!") walking hand in hand with his 3 year old friend. Their blond heads bobbing and their chatter floating back to us who walked behind. He was slowing his steps to match his friend skipping alongside. He was listening and caring and being patient. How my heart swelled!

A tender moment, granted to me by a tender God who is lovingly leading us all down this path together.

STOP

No comments: