I am tired and bleary eyed this morning. Since we were out of coffee, I'm still not sure how that happened in this house, I have already been to Wal-Mart this morning to get some more and now have a much needed cup in hand. Why am I so tired? I mean, aside from all the obvious reasons. Because I stayed up last night watching election results. Yep. Yesterday was one day when I would have gladly paid to have cable and been able to keep CNN or MSNBC on all day. But alas, I had to wait until the regular newscasts to get my election day fix. Why am I such an election day junkie you ask?
It's my dad's fault!
Ever since I can remember on election day my dad has talked to me about the process and then we have watched the results together. The first election I can remember was when I was in the 5th or 6th grade and Dukakis was one of the canditates. When we were in the Netherlands watching election day results was abit more of a challenge and adventure. I remember getting up in the middle of the night and driving over to an American couple's house to all watch the results together. I was thrilled to be considered mature enough to participate. I think that election was one that involved Ross Perot. I still laugh at the SNL skits about him!
The first election I ever voted in was at Covenant College. I remember my friend Bryan driving me to a small polling station on the mountain. It was a thrill to actually go into the voting booth, pull the curtain, and pull the lever. This year in Georgia anyone can vote by absentee ballot so I had the ballot on my dining room table for a few weeks while I prayed, researched and thought about who to vote for.
I consider myself an idependent. I vote for the person, not the party. And I am definitely not a one issue voter. I think that my facination with election results is more about watching trends and issues in the nation. As a sociology major I have an obsession with watching people, trying to figure out why they do what they do. So, obviously I was watching yesterdays results with much curiosity. I am even more interested to see what the next few days and months will bring and what the reaction from the "religious right" will be.
I have been frustrated in the past few elections with the religious community's use of faith to try and force Christians into voting for certain candidates. In discussions that I have had with various Christians that I love my faith has been called into question because I had concerns about certain candidates. I found this commentary on last nights events interesting.
I think though that in general I have become pretty cynical about the whole process. As Aaron says, we don't really have a choice, the choice that we have as American voters is basically between 2 white, rich guys. The other night Aaron read me this startling statistic - 20% of children in America live below the poverty line. Guess what percentage of children lived below the poverty line 20 years ago - 20%. I think that more than anything that statistic says where our priorities are as Americans.
Regardless of my cynical attitude, the process of democracy is facinating. And I fully intend to engage Jeremiah in the process as he grows up. I hope that discussions around our dinner table will include politics and that I can raise Jeremiah to have a thoughtful mind as he begins to think about national and global issues. One day I hope to be staying up late, watching election results with Jeremiah on the couch next to me and I think it will be a proud day for me when I take my 18 year old son to vote for the first time!
2 comments:
Well I did something right!!!!
The Dutch system allows for much more opportunity to select the kind of candidates that reflect your own values. The parliamentary system is really quite a good one!
Our elections are on Nov. 22. The campaigns here are looking more and more like American campaigns. Too bad...
Dad
Yep - Aaron and I have been jealous of the Dutch parlimentary system for awhile now.
YOu know that your elections are as bad as american elections when your TV is flooded with hateful negative adds for 4 months before the election..... But am I glad that is over.
Post a Comment