Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Potty Time?

My first post this morning was about politics - I figured Jeremiah warranted a post of his own.
I think we are coming out of the sickness, but there are globs of snot coming out of his nose! I know, it's gross, but true. So, please continue to pray for his healing.
This morning I pulled a small potty out of its box and placed it in the bathroom. Now, just to clarify, I am not one of those parents that is in a huge rush for my kid to be potty trained. In fact, I look with some dread at the whole process and I was more than willing to put it off until well past his 2nd birthday and closer to his 3rd. But, according to everything that I have read Jeremiah is showing all the signs of being ready to be potty trained. Seriously, every checklist that I read I can check everything off. Except for the fact that sometimes he still wakes up from his nap wet. He knows the difference between "poo-poo" and "pee-pee", he knows what the toilet is for, he tells me after he has pooped in his diaper. I read the check lists over and over again. No! I thought, I am not ready for this yet. This is going to take consistency and patience that I am not sure I have right now.
So, I figured if he is showing the readyness signs I shouldn't ignore them. I will definitely take the process slow though and let Jeremiah take the lead. The potty will sit in the bathroom for a few weeks before we even try to use it. In the next few weeks I will encourage Jeremiah to do more of his own dressing - he still does have some trouble with the whole pants down thing. He gets the concept but he tries to sit down while he takes them off, which of course isn't very effective. We are currently working on washing hands before meals. And in the next few weeks I will try and find some books about using the potty.
We'll see how it goes. I am not in a hurry and I don't want to push Jeremiah if he is not ready. If it doesn't work initially we will stop and try again later.
I just realized that I wrote a whole post about Jeremiah's bodily functions. I am so sorry! It seems I have turned into one of those mothers. You will not hurt my feelings if you are not the least bit interested by this post. And feel free to call me to talk about adult things - view it as an intervention if you wish!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You will not hurt my feelings if you are not the least bit interested by this post."

You should say this at the beginning of the post! ;-)

In Dutch they call this filing in the well after the cow has fallen in.

Dad

Sarah R. said...

I love dutch phrases - they are so descriptive.

Blame my oversight on lack of sleep, and every mothers conviction that their child's bodily functions are facinating to everyone! :-)