Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Potty Training 101

Jeremiah sits on the potty and we read his favorite book, over and over and over again.
I have spent a lot of time on the bathroom floor today.
Jeremiah shows off his new "bog boy pants."
Well, they are really pull-ups but he saw the pack and wanted to wear them. I was just going to use them as back-up. They will supposedly get cold when he pees. Tomorrow we will get him underwear, I think it will help if he feels wet and dirty.

I decided to take the bull by the horns today and get abit more proactive with the whole potty training thing. So Jeremiah has spent some time on his potty while I read books to him. Still no pee in the potty, but it will come with time.
We are having a minor parenting style disagreement in this house since the potty training started. I am in principle all for a sticker chart or some kind of reward. Anything in my mind to encourage the process and make it go faster. Aaron thinks that we should not use rewards. He thinks that Jeremiah should be intrinsically motivated to use the potty or not. Of course it is possible to find research supporting both points of view. So, we have to do some talking and some compromising. Any words of wisdom or potty training advice?
 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

icajay said...

from a counseling prospective, the sticker chart i think is great. you don't have to give big rewards but something small so that he knows he did a good job. with small kids it is hard i think for them to always only be motivated by their head and i don't know of any research that says a sticker chart for potty training will make them materialistic. When I counsel parents with children who are problematic so to speak we always put in place a reward system to start them exhibiting the behaviors that are positive and then after a small bit of time add in punishments to stop unwanted behavior. Aaron, i see your point of view totally but I also know that as a child (well and as an adult, it's why i make lists and check off the items i have done) it makes me feel proud of myself to be able to see my progress....i'm not sure if that all makes sense but basically behavior modification (i.e. stickers) is not dangerous and i think personally it increases the child's self-esteem to see that they are doing a good job!! lol sorry this is so long ;), i don't have kids yet so i can't say what i would do but i think personally i would do a sticker chart

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah --

you may have to be patient - Scott took a LONG time to potty train - the girls took about a day! I tried M&Ms as a reward - didn't work - Mom likes M&Ms too much and they disappeared out of the cupboard! :)
I agree with stickers, candy, rewards - it's hard for a little child to think htis through in his head and so be motivated. Sometimes we all need a little physical rewarding!
Just think, he definitely won't be going to kindergarten in diapers, so be heartened! I would say 'good luck', but 'may the force be with you' may be more appropriate! LOL
Love, Aunt Carol.

Sarah R. said...

Thanks to all for your advice.
Aunt Carol - I remember when scott was potty training, we were living next door. That was crazy.
I think the main thing is that I was getting stressed out.
So, we will wait until I can be less stressed. It will all come in time!