A big Happy Birthday wish to my dad today.Last week I sat down with Jeremiah and we colored a picture for Opa's birthday. I told Jeremiah that we wanted to send Opa something special so he knew we were thinking about him. All day long Jeremiah kept pointing to the door, "want and need opa." He thought Opa was coming to see us.
Of course my relationship with my dad has changed and evolved over the years. The exuberant idealization of childhood (my memories of running out of the boarding school door yelling "daddy daddy daddy!" and joyfully throwing myself into his arms). The support, encouragement and guidance I received as I entered and navigated adolescence. The ability to share thoughtful conversation and changing thoughts during young adulthood. The process of turning from him to my husband for my main support as a married woman. And now the joy of watching him enjoy my children (and my children enjoy him) in his new role as opa.
Through all the changes in life I have been able to rely on my dad for love, support, advice and encouragement. I am so thankful for him and am praying today that God will continue to bless him and give him the gift of many more years.
No comments:
Post a Comment