Most kids this week are counting down the days until Christmas and watching the gifts pile up under the tree. Jeremiah is counting the days until his papa comes. We are down to 2! Every morning now Jeremiah heads to the front door and exclaims, `We go get papa now!` Then I do the whole explanation of how many days we still have to go. I can´t wait until Friday morning when I can say, `That´s right! Get your hat and coat!`
It is cold, cold, cold here in Holland. But I don´t mind too much. I think it adds to the Christmas spirit. This morning the ground was covered with white frost, as were the orange roof shingles of all the houses. It was as pretty as a postcard. At the market our cheeks and noses were rosy from the cold.
My mom and I are going to be busy the next few days preparing the house for Aaron and Will and Mariana´s arrival. We are all in a fun state of anticipation.
I like the feeling of anticipating Christmas without gifts. Instead of thinking about gifts we are eagerly anticipating being with the people we love, yummy food, the live nativity scene on Christmas Eve, the wedding to come soon after Christmas. I haven´t given a single thought to what to get for who, how to wrap it, how much to spend etc. etc. It´s kinda nice. I like giving and receiving gifts as much as the next person but I think I much prefer to keep the gift giving seperate from Christmas Day. I think I will talk to Aaron about adapting the Dutch Sinterklaas traditions in our family. That way the gift giving, done on December 6, will be finished before Christmas arrives.
It would definitely be countercultural in the US. Something for our family to consider.
It is cold, cold, cold here in Holland. But I don´t mind too much. I think it adds to the Christmas spirit. This morning the ground was covered with white frost, as were the orange roof shingles of all the houses. It was as pretty as a postcard. At the market our cheeks and noses were rosy from the cold.
My mom and I are going to be busy the next few days preparing the house for Aaron and Will and Mariana´s arrival. We are all in a fun state of anticipation.
I like the feeling of anticipating Christmas without gifts. Instead of thinking about gifts we are eagerly anticipating being with the people we love, yummy food, the live nativity scene on Christmas Eve, the wedding to come soon after Christmas. I haven´t given a single thought to what to get for who, how to wrap it, how much to spend etc. etc. It´s kinda nice. I like giving and receiving gifts as much as the next person but I think I much prefer to keep the gift giving seperate from Christmas Day. I think I will talk to Aaron about adapting the Dutch Sinterklaas traditions in our family. That way the gift giving, done on December 6, will be finished before Christmas arrives.
It would definitely be countercultural in the US. Something for our family to consider.
1 comment:
Hey Sarah, you are in Holland.. how nice! Yup, the weather is COLD... but I was also surprised about the pretty 'postcard' site of the frost! It must be nice to be back and see the family again. Just about a week before the wedding, hope it's going to be great! Please sent my best wishes to all.
Gr. Ylonka
Post a Comment