Friday, April 18, 2008

Disappointment

"Still waiting for God to give us a break around here."
I stole that line from a friend's blog. She wrote that when their family was experiencing a hard time. It is exactly what went through my mind yesterday evening when Aaron called me to tell me that his oral exam had not went well. The professors thought that he needs to complete one extra project before he can graduate. That means he will not graduate this May.
I felt like I had been punched in the gut.
This graduate school process has been so hard on all of us. It takes so much of Aaron's time and so much of our money. For the past 4 years it has really been putting a strain on our family and we were so excited that it would all be finished in just a few weeks.
The other part of this is that Aaron will get a pretty significant pay increase once he has his master's degree. I have been told that it is tacky to talk about money, but in the interest of honesty I will tell you that we have really been struggling financially the past few months since I have not been paid my MCC. Those of you who have been there know how stressful lack of finances can be. We were hoping for some relief when his pay increase kicked in later in May.
So today we are still processing this disappointment.
We still trust God's plan and care for us. And we know intellectually that in the big picture this is just a minor set back. But we are tired, emotionally drained and feeling a lot of strain.
I am so proud of Aaron. He has been working so hard this past year especially. His first year of teaching has been really challenging. He wakes early to leave for work, takes time every evening to spend with the kids, and works late into the night grading papers or doing his grad school work. He has never once complained. Never.
Please pray for us.
I thought it providential that the little calendar in my kitchen that has daily quotes read this yesterday:
The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don't know what to do. - John Holt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big hugs sweetie. Been there financially (especially the no pay part, from somewhere you really believe in) and are kind of still there. I'll call you after we get back from Ohio (I just put your number in my cell!) and we will get together to play.

jaywalker said...

i'm so sorry. it's been a few years now since we had to struggle financially, and i know how it eats at you. i hope you figure something out soon. sonic won't be much fun if it's still not meeting your need. but do you at least get to wear roller skates, haha?

i haven't read for a while, so i saw that a few posts back you are having issues with disciplining a three year old. with us it's kind of the opposite behavior. he's been screaming at me, hitting me, and being really nasty. for that we feel that it's appropriate every time to spank. fortunately he softens his little heart when we spank him. but seeing such behavior from my little boy is really scary. maybe we will try your house rules. although i kind of wonder if he would understand that. we still struggle with basic "i have to go to the potty" language and i think he is picking up a nasty stutter.

anyway... will send up a prayer for you today that God will show you some light.