Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Laundry excitement

Some days I wonder at the person I have become.... I am now a cloth diapering, veggie growing, clothesline drying, bargain hunting, probably homeschooling mother. Don't get me wrong, none of those things are bad. I just didn't think they would ever be me.
I have been waiting for months for my bulk supply of store bought laundry detergent to run out so that I could start making my own. Seriously, I was so excited about this I could hardly stand the wait! Yesterday was finally the day.
I mixed 1 cup Borax, 1 cup washing soda, and 1 grated bar of Dr. Bronner's pure castille soap.
That's it!
Here is why I am excited.
1. This is environmentally friendly. All of the ingredients biodegrade in water and so no chemicals are being dispersed into our rivers and streams. Dr. Bronner's soap is made with no animal tallow. I think it is important to care for our earth so I had been spending lots of money on biodegradable detergents (mostly Method products) which leads me to:
2. This is cheap! Each boxed ingredient was about $3.00 as was the soap (I think, my sister in law bought it for me and I still haven't paid her back). Since I only use 1 Tablespoon of the mixture for 1 load of laundry this should last for a long time! On one blog I read the financial break down of this mixture was less than 10 cents per load!
3. It's easy! Really. Just like the cloth diapers ended up being this is a cinch. The most work I had to do was grate up a bar of soap. Even I can handle that.

Last night I actually had fun doing a few loads of laundry to try this stuff out. It is crazy the things that get me excited now a days. My teenage self would cringe.... Smile.... Now I really want to learn to sew....

1 comment:

Michael said...

this is very exciting! i especially like the cheap part!
=jess