Friday, April 17, 2009

No pictures but good memories

One time when we were visiting my parents Oma took Jeremiah to the kinderboerderij. When they returned and they were telling me of their adventures I asked my mom if she had taken any pictures. She replied by saying that she thought about taking the camera but decided that she just wanted to enjoy the time with Jeremiah and not worry about taking pictures, so she didn't. I have often thought about that. It is true that sometimes when we are doing something with the boys I get so distracted by trying to get good pictures to "capture the memories" that I forget to just sit make and make the memories. Sometimes I am so busy snapping away with the camera that I forget to be present and active in the moment with my kids. I forget to interact with them and enjoy them and be more than just the person behind the camera.
Yesterday I made a conscious decision to not bring the camera with me on our outings and just imprint the memories in my head. So here is what I would have taken pictures of if I had my camera:
- Nathaniel chasing excitedly after the chickens in my friend's yard.
- Jeremiah clinging to my leg afraid of the chickens in my friend's yard.
- Nathaniel & Jeremiah digging happily in the dirt helping us plant corn seed.
- Extremely dirty knees and hands!
- My friend Faith on her big red tractor plowing up the ground for our communal garden.
- Jeremiah and Nathaniel in the soft evening light squating by the fish pond in our new yard.
- Jeremiah running around his new back yard watering the plants.
- Jeremiah standing in the middle of his new room looking around with excitement and a little bit of confusion.
- Miss Pat's kind look and genuine excitement at knowing that we are going to care for the home she has cared for.

No comments: