Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body. - Hebrews 13:3
Last Sunday was the National Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church. During our service we prayed by name for specific people who are currently imprisoned for loving Jesus. I think it made an impression on Jeremiah because today he remembers the name of the man our group prayed for and that he is imprisoned in China. We brought home a prayer guide for this month so that we can pray every day for our brothers and sisters who are suffering for the name of Christ. We help Jeremiah find the country of the day on a map, we talk about the suffering specific to that country, and then we pray.
What a wonderful opportunity this has been for us to start talking to the boys about suffering for the gospel. We want them to be aware that even though being a Christian in America is easy, there are many people around the world who are persecuted for their faith. I want my boys to look beyond themselves and this comfort oriented, selfish culture that we live in to consider the persecution and sufferings of others. I want my boys to know that there may come a day when they are called to suffer for their faith (in fact the Bible says to expect suffering if you follow Christ, don't hear that preached about much in this time when the "prosperity gospel" is more popular - but I digress).
Tonight our prayer guide asked us to pray for the children of those who were imprisoned. As we discussed this I asked Jeremiah to think about what he would feel like if his papa was put into prison for loving Jesus. Jeremiah immediately responded with great confidence and gusto, "He wouldn't stay in jail! God would send a big earth quake and papa's chains would fall off and he would walk right out of there! Just like Paul & Silas." I got teary eyed at the conviction in my son's voice as well as the knowledge that the seed of God's Word is in his heart. The faith of a child truly is an amazing thing.
If you want to know more about the persecuted church around the world, how to pray and practical ways to help I highly recommend the websites of International Christian Concern and Voice of the Martyrs.
Last Sunday was the National Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church. During our service we prayed by name for specific people who are currently imprisoned for loving Jesus. I think it made an impression on Jeremiah because today he remembers the name of the man our group prayed for and that he is imprisoned in China. We brought home a prayer guide for this month so that we can pray every day for our brothers and sisters who are suffering for the name of Christ. We help Jeremiah find the country of the day on a map, we talk about the suffering specific to that country, and then we pray.
What a wonderful opportunity this has been for us to start talking to the boys about suffering for the gospel. We want them to be aware that even though being a Christian in America is easy, there are many people around the world who are persecuted for their faith. I want my boys to look beyond themselves and this comfort oriented, selfish culture that we live in to consider the persecution and sufferings of others. I want my boys to know that there may come a day when they are called to suffer for their faith (in fact the Bible says to expect suffering if you follow Christ, don't hear that preached about much in this time when the "prosperity gospel" is more popular - but I digress).
Tonight our prayer guide asked us to pray for the children of those who were imprisoned. As we discussed this I asked Jeremiah to think about what he would feel like if his papa was put into prison for loving Jesus. Jeremiah immediately responded with great confidence and gusto, "He wouldn't stay in jail! God would send a big earth quake and papa's chains would fall off and he would walk right out of there! Just like Paul & Silas." I got teary eyed at the conviction in my son's voice as well as the knowledge that the seed of God's Word is in his heart. The faith of a child truly is an amazing thing.
If you want to know more about the persecuted church around the world, how to pray and practical ways to help I highly recommend the websites of International Christian Concern and Voice of the Martyrs.
No comments:
Post a Comment