
Nathaniel's:
(That is our whole family "being thankful together.")I am not a particularly crafty person. I am mostly in awe of those mothers (and bloggers) who come up with creative, fun things to do with their kids that turn out beautifully. And they never seem to get frustrated with their kids and the mess in the process. How do they do that?
I am learning however, that the boys like to do creative things (Jeremiah would paint all day if I let him) and that the things we do don't have to turn out to be masterpiece's for the boys to benefit from the experience. I am also learning to calm down, let go of perfection, and let the boys make a mess.
In that vein I have been keeping my eye out for simple (and cheap) fall "projects" to do with the boys. We did the traditional "press leaves between wax paper" that I remember from my childhood. Many mornings Jeremiah sits at one end of the table constructing turkey's and cutting out leaves from colored paper while Nathaniel sits at the other and scribbles in colorful circles.
I found this Thanksgiving place mat project in a magazine (I forget which one) and thought it would be perfect! It was so simple and the boys really did enjoy it. Nathaniel got some paint on his hands and shirt, but there was very little damage otherwise (smile). And he really had a blast with his first experience with a paintbrush. Plus, we now have some beautiful place mats to use next week for Thanksgiving.
This is what we did.
Supplies:
muslin
fabric paint (brown, orange, yellow, red)
circle stamp
paint brushes (for the boys)
How:
Cut muslin into rectangles in the desired size for place mats
(You don't even have to sew these, but I may serge them after Thanksgiving so we can wash them and use them again.)
With fabric paint first paint tree trunk shapes, allow to dry
With fabric paint, stamp & brushes add leaves in yellow, red & orange
(I used the circle stamp and let the boys have their own place mats and paintbrushes and let them just go to town. I figured there was no way I would keep my sanity trying to help them stamp, especially since we only have 1 circle stamp.)
That's it! Simple!
I am learning however, that the boys like to do creative things (Jeremiah would paint all day if I let him) and that the things we do don't have to turn out to be masterpiece's for the boys to benefit from the experience. I am also learning to calm down, let go of perfection, and let the boys make a mess.
In that vein I have been keeping my eye out for simple (and cheap) fall "projects" to do with the boys. We did the traditional "press leaves between wax paper" that I remember from my childhood. Many mornings Jeremiah sits at one end of the table constructing turkey's and cutting out leaves from colored paper while Nathaniel sits at the other and scribbles in colorful circles.
I found this Thanksgiving place mat project in a magazine (I forget which one) and thought it would be perfect! It was so simple and the boys really did enjoy it. Nathaniel got some paint on his hands and shirt, but there was very little damage otherwise (smile). And he really had a blast with his first experience with a paintbrush. Plus, we now have some beautiful place mats to use next week for Thanksgiving.
This is what we did.
Supplies:
muslin
fabric paint (brown, orange, yellow, red)
circle stamp
paint brushes (for the boys)
How:
Cut muslin into rectangles in the desired size for place mats
(You don't even have to sew these, but I may serge them after Thanksgiving so we can wash them and use them again.)
With fabric paint first paint tree trunk shapes, allow to dry
With fabric paint, stamp & brushes add leaves in yellow, red & orange
(I used the circle stamp and let the boys have their own place mats and paintbrushes and let them just go to town. I figured there was no way I would keep my sanity trying to help them stamp, especially since we only have 1 circle stamp.)
That's it! Simple!

No comments:
Post a Comment