Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Letter to Jeremiah on his 5th Birthday










Our Dearest Jeremiah,
How can 5 years have passed so quickly? Before you were born other mothers would tell me to savor every moment because before I knew it you would be grown up. Now I know what they meant. I sit here and wonder at how quickly 5 years have flown by and changed you from a tiny, helpless baby into and energetic, independent, and intelligent 5 year old.

I will say that 4 had been a fun year! You have had so many new experiences and grown in so many ways!

We watched your creativity blossom this year. You have created more paintings and colored more pictures than I can keep track of! Sometimes you would sit for hours coloring and cutting, painting or stamping. You especially enjoyed making art for other people and often wanted me to mail one of your pictures to somebody.

It seems as if your imagination has also really grown this year. One of your favorite things to do was to make believe stories with papa and Nathaniel. I would often smile when I heard you playing "Horton Hears A Who" or "Ice Age" or tearing around the house being "Speedy Gonzales." You liked dressing like a pirate, pretending to be a wolf, roaring like a dinosaur, or going on jungle walks.

Your love of books continued this year. You started to read a loud to Nathaniel and I would often see you boys sitting together, you reading while Nathaniel listened. Such sweet moments. You also discovered chapter books this year. You enjoyed starting the Narnia series and you and papa had fun reading "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" together. You also loved the Winnie the Pooh books (and liked to act out all the characters).

This past fall you played soccer with the local recreational league! Your papa and I had so much fun watching you run around the field with all your energy, chasing and kicking the ball. You loved to run! You would bob your head from side to side and let your arms fly out beside you, obviously glorying in the feel of the air against your body and in your hair. You didn't care much about winning, you just enjoyed playing.

How we have enjoyed watching you learn and grow this year. We have had so many interesting and thoughtful conversations with you. You have asked thoughtful questions about God, the Bible, and the world around you. You became interested in maps and started learning about different countries. You wanted to give generously and pray often for people in other countries who do not have as much as we do.

We have watched you learn to share, play, and interact with Nathaniel and other children. We have seen you take leadership, be protective, be generous, be kind.

Son, how silly you have been this year! You have told riddles, and made up silly rhymes with words - your cheerful laughter ringing bright.

You are loved more than you know. Every day with you is full of joy, laughter, thought, and energy. You are a special gift from God.

We love you so much!
Mama & Papa

Edit: I had this saved as a draft and then accidentally just hit "post" when I finished it today. I have no idea how to fix it - but it was supposed to be posted on Jeremiah's birthday February 25th.

No comments: