Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Writing



It has been challenging for me to find "workbooks" that Jeremiah enjoys doing. I knew that I wanted him to work on his hand writing this year but I wasn't sure how to make that happen. Most of the workbooks that have printing practice are pretty simplistic with just single letters over and over again. That is boring for Jeremiah. He would half halfheartedly copy a few letters and then announce that he was ready for something else.

One day the problem solved itself. After reading our morning Psalm Jeremiah announced that he wanted to look at the Psalm and write down the words that he wanted to know the meaning of. His plan was that when papa got home in the evening they would get out the dictionary and look at the words together. And that has in fact been his almost daily ritual. While I clean up the kitchen after breakfast he sits at the table with the Bible open and copies out the words he wants to know on a 3x5 card (we are loving those things around here!). Some days it is just 1 or 2 words some days it is much more.

I realized the other day that this is the beauty of homeschooling. If he was in a traditional classroom Jeremiah would probably be very bored doing robotic copying on worksheets. Here at home we have the freedom for him to work at his own pace on things that keep his interest. Jeremiah loves words, their sound, rhyming, and meaning. He has a very extensive and advanced vocabulary simply because he loves words.

I am learning to let Jeremiah lead me in his educational experience. I think it's pretty cool that he is learning to practice his handwriting by reading the Bible. Seems like a pretty good educational experience to me.

No comments: