
This is my current reading pile. I am slowly working through a combination of novels and practical parenting books. Here's my run down in case you are looking for something good to read.
The Jesus Storybook Bible
We have just started this storybook Bible for our family devotion time after dinner. There is a lot about it that I really like and I do recommend it. I will save my complete run-down for a separate post though because I think it deserves it.
The Princes of Ireland, by Edward Rutherford
I like historical novels if they are done well. I accidentally stumbled on this author when I saw this book in the sale bin at our Goodwill for 39cents. I picked it up because there was a recommendation on it from Maeve Binchy who is an author that I really love. This guy's historical fiction is really in depth and detailed while still remaining entertaining. He also doesn't see the need for over-sexualizing things which is something that I run across often in other historical fiction. I picked up his book Russka from the library but haven't gotten a chance to start it yet.
Songs of the Humpback Whale, by Jodi Picoult
I admit that I haven't actually started reading this yet. That is because I know when I pick up a book by Jodi Picoult I will forget everything else and stay up all night to finish it. Her books are that interesting and compelling. I think this is the only book of hers that I haven't read yet. Even though her books are fiction I always find myself chewing over moral, spiritual, and societal issues after I put them down. Read her!
Steady Days, by Jamie C. Martin
Jamie has a blog that I have been reading for quite a while now. Her purpose is to be a professional, intentional parent to her children and to encourage other mothers to do the same. I really relate to her practical ideas as well as her general world view. This book doesn't have any new and earth shattering information for me but is more of a confirmation of things that I have learned and implemented as I tried to figure out this whole parenting thing. I like that the book is practical, broken up into short chapters, and nonjudgmental. I think this is a book that I will include as a baby shower gift for new mothers.
Families Where Grace is in Place, by Jeff van Vonderen
I remember seeing this book on our bookshelf when I was a kid as well as on the bookshelves of families we visited. It has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while and I haven't picked it up until recently because I was being judgmental. I figured that it would be a pretty black and white, preachy, Focus on the Family type book and I just didn't want to go there right now.
I was wrong!
This book is completely changing my attitude toward being a wife and mother. There is so much to say about this that I will have to make a separate post. But let me just briefly say that I would give this book and Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel to all new couples & parents as the best "manuals" - because they aren't really manuals at all but an encouragement to let grace influence all we do.
Free Range Kids, by Lenore Skenazy
I have so far only thumbed through this book but I can't wait to dig into it more. It is funny and easy to read and yet really challenges many of the societal norms that we have in America for how we raise our kids. How much influence does media hype, fear, or even information from "experts" have over how we raise our kids and how much freedom we give and encourage them to have. Very, very interesting.
So that's what I am reading right now. I'm sure once I work through this pile I will be looking for more. Suggestions are always welcome!
The Jesus Storybook Bible
We have just started this storybook Bible for our family devotion time after dinner. There is a lot about it that I really like and I do recommend it. I will save my complete run-down for a separate post though because I think it deserves it.
The Princes of Ireland, by Edward Rutherford
I like historical novels if they are done well. I accidentally stumbled on this author when I saw this book in the sale bin at our Goodwill for 39cents. I picked it up because there was a recommendation on it from Maeve Binchy who is an author that I really love. This guy's historical fiction is really in depth and detailed while still remaining entertaining. He also doesn't see the need for over-sexualizing things which is something that I run across often in other historical fiction. I picked up his book Russka from the library but haven't gotten a chance to start it yet.
Songs of the Humpback Whale, by Jodi Picoult
I admit that I haven't actually started reading this yet. That is because I know when I pick up a book by Jodi Picoult I will forget everything else and stay up all night to finish it. Her books are that interesting and compelling. I think this is the only book of hers that I haven't read yet. Even though her books are fiction I always find myself chewing over moral, spiritual, and societal issues after I put them down. Read her!
Steady Days, by Jamie C. Martin
Jamie has a blog that I have been reading for quite a while now. Her purpose is to be a professional, intentional parent to her children and to encourage other mothers to do the same. I really relate to her practical ideas as well as her general world view. This book doesn't have any new and earth shattering information for me but is more of a confirmation of things that I have learned and implemented as I tried to figure out this whole parenting thing. I like that the book is practical, broken up into short chapters, and nonjudgmental. I think this is a book that I will include as a baby shower gift for new mothers.
Families Where Grace is in Place, by Jeff van Vonderen
I remember seeing this book on our bookshelf when I was a kid as well as on the bookshelves of families we visited. It has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while and I haven't picked it up until recently because I was being judgmental. I figured that it would be a pretty black and white, preachy, Focus on the Family type book and I just didn't want to go there right now.
I was wrong!
This book is completely changing my attitude toward being a wife and mother. There is so much to say about this that I will have to make a separate post. But let me just briefly say that I would give this book and Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel to all new couples & parents as the best "manuals" - because they aren't really manuals at all but an encouragement to let grace influence all we do.
Free Range Kids, by Lenore Skenazy
I have so far only thumbed through this book but I can't wait to dig into it more. It is funny and easy to read and yet really challenges many of the societal norms that we have in America for how we raise our kids. How much influence does media hype, fear, or even information from "experts" have over how we raise our kids and how much freedom we give and encourage them to have. Very, very interesting.
So that's what I am reading right now. I'm sure once I work through this pile I will be looking for more. Suggestions are always welcome!
No comments:
Post a Comment