Thursday, May 06, 2010

Scary stuff

I wrote this yesterday, but now I am not sure if I should post it....

There has been so much going on in our spiritual lives that I really don't even know how to put it into words. It's just this feeling I have that the Spirit is moving and preparing us for something...but I don't know what.

It's kind of uncomfortable really.

Our worship times on Sunday morning have been so real and inspiring. Every Sunday I really feel God's presence among us as we worship. Tears of joy and conviction have come every week. Some days I know that I would be physically on my knees if I wasn't holding Nathaniel.

Then there are the conversations we have been having with our small group and other friends. Conversations that ask hard questions. What does it mean to be a disciple? What does it mean to live in intentional community with each other? What does it mean to live as if Jesus was going to return any minute? How much does God ask us to give? What should our lives look like if we are truly trying to further the Kingdom?

None of these questions have easy answers. And some of our answers feel radical and counter-cultural and just plain scary.

I am the kind of person who wants it all spelled out for me. I want rules to follow and formulas of how much time, money etc. to give. I don't like this feeling of not knowing.

Yesterday, this song started playing on our Veggie Tales Worship cd of all things. I realized that it expresses my feelings right now perfectly. I don't know exactly what God is preparing us for, but I do know that He is working in the secret, quiet places of our hearts. I also know that my spiritual heart is starting to desire to know God better and deeper more that I want anything in this world. And that is just a tad scary....

In the Secret Place (I want to know you more)
- by Andy Park
In the secret in the quiet place
In the stillness You are there
In the secret, in the quiet hour I wait only for You
'Cause I want to know You more

I want to know You, I want to hear Your voice
I want to know You more
I want to touch You, I want to see Your face
I want to know You more

I am reaching for the highest goal
That I might receive the prize
Pressing onward, pushing every hindrance aside out of my way
'Cause I want to know You more.

1 comment:

roadrunner201 said...

Why unsure? I think it's good that you posted. I definitely know what you mean about feeling a moving of some sort.

And know that you are in "good" company about wanting it spelled out. I am just not comfortable with out a nice, neat set of rules to follow;-)