Friday, June 17, 2011

5 Minute Fridays - Home


Joining The Gypsy Mama again for 5 Minute Friday. A quick 5 minutes to write in the midst of life. No editing (well, I do run a spell check because my spelling is horrendous). Tonight I grab 5 minutes while Star Wars - The Clone Wars plays and little boys are entranced.

Prompt: Home

GO

I never know how to answer when someone innocently asks, "You're not from around here are you? Where are you from?" Because you see, my accent betrays me. I stop and stammer. Do they want the long version or the short version. And really, where am I from anyway?

I am not really from anywhere. Raised in the dusty bush of West Africa, with a stop-over in suburban Philadelphia, coming of age in bustling efficient Netherlands, landing by complete chance on a mountaintop in Georgia, settling in this small southern town where roots are beginning to form.

I feel a fish out of water no matter where I am these days. Where is home? I struggle to let roots run deep. I fight the urge to run before people know too much. I simultaneously desire for my children to experience wide cultures yet grow up with lifelong friends.

Home is wherever my love is. Wherever we nest with these boys that have been given us. Whether that be here where southern accents are thick and life is quietly full, or somewhere we don't know yet. Home is where we are together.

STOP

4 comments:

Suzanne McClendon said...

I enjoyed reading your post.You have been to some really cool places. :) My daddy's family was from Georgia and my husband was born there, too. It is a beautiful state.

I'm visiting from Five Minute Friday. Have a great evening!

Anonymous said...

So, you have lived in the Netherlands.... how did you like it and where was it? You see, I am Dutch so naturally interested :)
I have lived in several countries too, because of my mission / social voluntary work.
So I can relate to not really knowing where home is. I've become quite international, which I like. But home? Ah... one is being build by Someone who knows exactly what I need!
And on earth... I joined 5 minute Friday too, so if you want you can see for yourself...
Have a blessed weekend!
Fenny

Heather Mattern said...

Oh how I enjoyed reading your words! I haven't done hardly any traveling BUT we have big plans of visiting Romania, Hungary and possibly Germany next year. I can't wait to see all that Father has in store!

Anonymous said...

You have lived in such varied places! What a wonderful journey you have been on. Wonderful post!