



The boys are chattering excitedly. They are trying to decide what to wear. Which shirt looks the most like the shirt a pirate would wear? They keep asking me if it is time to leave yet. How many more minutes?
I look at the two of them and my heart constricts a little. It seems like just yesterday that Jeremiah participated in his first VBS at 2 1/2 years old. Sure, he was in the nursery, but still. He loved the songs, and the decorations, and the puppets. And now, time has moved in fast forward, and I see them standing there. Jeremiah suddenly tall and looking more like a young man than a little boy. Nathaniel so full of excitement and enthusiasm. So excited that he got to meet "real pirates" and that he can wear his pirate pj's.
This year they clutch their "Log Books." Jeremiah does the extra work sheets and asks for extra chores in order to get extra points. He reads the songs they are learning and I hear their two voices enthusiastically singing together. Nathaniel doesn't completely understand it, but he knows that the book is important. They work together on saying their memory verses. Nathaniel's come complete with hand motions. I love hearing God's Word on their lips, "For this God is our God, forever and ever, He will be our guide even to the end." Truth proclaimed.
I run around the church organizing and trouble shooting every evening this week. Kids swirl around me. Their eyes light up when they come in the entryway and see the giant mouth of a whale ready to swallow them up. Fish hang from the ceiling. In the sanctuary they set sail on a ship, complete with a mast and a crew of pirates. I see youth group kids helping out. I see adults showing love and patience in the midst of chaos and noise.
I get a glimpse of Nathaniel, proudly leading the line of his class, flag held high. I see Jeremiah in a sea of wiggly 6 year olds, singing and laughing. My boys fly high on the special attention of the teenage boys.
And even though I am exhausted and part of me wants this week to be over already so I can rest, there is another part of me that wants to stop time and enjoy these whirlwind days.
I look at the two of them and my heart constricts a little. It seems like just yesterday that Jeremiah participated in his first VBS at 2 1/2 years old. Sure, he was in the nursery, but still. He loved the songs, and the decorations, and the puppets. And now, time has moved in fast forward, and I see them standing there. Jeremiah suddenly tall and looking more like a young man than a little boy. Nathaniel so full of excitement and enthusiasm. So excited that he got to meet "real pirates" and that he can wear his pirate pj's.
This year they clutch their "Log Books." Jeremiah does the extra work sheets and asks for extra chores in order to get extra points. He reads the songs they are learning and I hear their two voices enthusiastically singing together. Nathaniel doesn't completely understand it, but he knows that the book is important. They work together on saying their memory verses. Nathaniel's come complete with hand motions. I love hearing God's Word on their lips, "For this God is our God, forever and ever, He will be our guide even to the end." Truth proclaimed.
I run around the church organizing and trouble shooting every evening this week. Kids swirl around me. Their eyes light up when they come in the entryway and see the giant mouth of a whale ready to swallow them up. Fish hang from the ceiling. In the sanctuary they set sail on a ship, complete with a mast and a crew of pirates. I see youth group kids helping out. I see adults showing love and patience in the midst of chaos and noise.
I get a glimpse of Nathaniel, proudly leading the line of his class, flag held high. I see Jeremiah in a sea of wiggly 6 year olds, singing and laughing. My boys fly high on the special attention of the teenage boys.
And even though I am exhausted and part of me wants this week to be over already so I can rest, there is another part of me that wants to stop time and enjoy these whirlwind days.
No comments:
Post a Comment