I graduated from Covenant College in 1998. That is 13 years and a lifetime ago. For 2 1/2 out of the 4 years I was at Covenant I shared a 4 person room with these 2 girls. They could tell you some stories! I didn't have sisters growing up so this college rooming experience was in a sense my introduction to sisterhood. I learned so much! As you can imagine our room was the scene of many crazy, fun, exciting moments as well as many dramatic, hurtful, growing moments.
On Saturday night the 3 of us sat on a porch and chatted. The time was too short to fully catch up on each others lives but we made a valiant attempt. The last time we saw each other was 9 years ago at the wedding of another college roommate. Since then we have all had many life changes. And yet, we are in some ways unchanged. We spoke with the same mannerisms and shared the same laughter. As we talked it seemed unreal that 13 years had passed since we shared our daily lives. No matter how much time passes between our meetings there are things that these girls know about me that no one else can never fully know or understand.
I am really bad at maintaining long distance relationships. Life as a missionary kid with people constantly coming and going from my life has made me focus on the relationships that are right in front of me and present. Even though many years have passed since our last meeting the experiences I had with these ladies forms a constant bond because we played such a major role in each others lives during a very formative time of life. These are relationships worth maintaining. Let's not wait 9 years to meet again!

1 comment:
Thanks for making me cry :) I love all that you wrote and agree with it all. Especially with not waiting that long again! I say we try the once a year thing - a girls' weekend somewhere! We can start saving now!
Post a Comment