Yesterday was a busy day. I had an important meeting at DFCS and so left Jeremiah with some friends for the afternoon. Aaron picked him up after work and by the time I got home he was completely exhausted because he hadn't taken his nap. The little guy was asleep by 7:20. He didn't even want me to read him books, but just pointed at his bed and laid down all by himself. I thought we would get to sleep in a little this morning - but not a chance - we were up at 6:30!
About my DFCS meeting. I like to think that when I was a DFCS case worker I was open minded and did as good a job as I could under my circumstances. I like to think that the majority of my co-workers across the state were the same. Yesterday shook me a little. Because I can't give details, all I will say is that I sat through a meeting in which 4 DFCS staff sat across from a couple approved by our agency who want to adopt a teenage girl and basically grilled them like they were on trial. I could tell from the tone of their questions that they thought that the only reason someone would want to adopt a teenage girl would be to use her for labor or to abuse her. By the end of the meeting I was steaming mad and doing my best to remain polite and businesslike. I understand their concerns becuase they do not know the family like MCC does.. But 3 of the DFCS workers were rude and condescending and one lady never even changed facial expression or made eye contact. Just plain rude and unprofessional.
I realized something yesterday, up till now in my work with MCC I have always given DFCS the benefit of the doubt. Because I used to be a DFCS caseworker I am sypathetic towards them. Not anymore. The meeting I participated in yesterday showed me why people that I talk to in the community are fed up with the system. I will still be polite and professional - but I will no longer assume that every case worker we deal with has the best interest of the children at heart.
I hate becoming cynical and jaded....
1 comment:
sorry but yes. We haven't had very good interactions with them when we have had to bring counseling cases to them. It makes me sad that the system doesn't work nearly as well as it should. A lot of kids are hurt b/c of it
Post a Comment