The following quote is long but worth the read. I am just now reading Blue Like Jazz and am wishing that I had read it a year ago when dad mentioned it to me.
Better late than never.
Read the book!
"The thing I have to work on in myself is this issue of belief. Gandhi believed Jesus when He said to turn the other cheek. Gandhi brought down the British Empire, deeply injured the caste system, and changed the world. Mother Teresa believed Jesus when He said everybody was priceless, even the ugly ones, the smelly ones, and Mother Teresa changed the world by showing them that a human being can be selfless. Peter finally believed the gospel after he got yelled at by Paul. Peter and Paul changed the world by starting small churches in godless towns.
Eminem believes that he is a better rapper than other rappers. Profound. Let’s all follow Eminem.
Here is the trick, and here is my point. Satan, who I believe exists as much as I believe Jesus exists, wants us to believe meaningless things for meaningless reasons. Can you imagine if Christians actually believed that God was trying to rescue us from the pit of our own self-addiction? Can you imagine? Can you imagine what Americans would do if they understood that over half the world was living in poverty? Do you think they would change the way they live, the products they purchase, and the politicians they elect? If we believed the right things, the true things, there wouldn’t be very many problems on earth.
But the trouble with deep belief is that it costs something. And there is something inside me, some selfish beast of a subtle thing that doesn’t like the truth at all because it carries responsibility, and if I actually believe these things I have to do something about them. ….
My life testifies that the first thing I believe is that I am the most important person in the world. My life testifies to this because I care more about my food and shelter and happiness that about anybody else.
I am learning to believe better things. I am learning to believe that other people exist, that fashion is not truth; rather, Jesus is the most important figure in history, and the gospel is the most powerful force in the universe. I am learning not to be passionate about empty things, but to cultivate passion for justice, grace, truth, and communicate the idea that Jesus likes people and even loves them."
Eminem believes that he is a better rapper than other rappers. Profound. Let’s all follow Eminem.
Here is the trick, and here is my point. Satan, who I believe exists as much as I believe Jesus exists, wants us to believe meaningless things for meaningless reasons. Can you imagine if Christians actually believed that God was trying to rescue us from the pit of our own self-addiction? Can you imagine? Can you imagine what Americans would do if they understood that over half the world was living in poverty? Do you think they would change the way they live, the products they purchase, and the politicians they elect? If we believed the right things, the true things, there wouldn’t be very many problems on earth.
But the trouble with deep belief is that it costs something. And there is something inside me, some selfish beast of a subtle thing that doesn’t like the truth at all because it carries responsibility, and if I actually believe these things I have to do something about them. ….
My life testifies that the first thing I believe is that I am the most important person in the world. My life testifies to this because I care more about my food and shelter and happiness that about anybody else.
I am learning to believe better things. I am learning to believe that other people exist, that fashion is not truth; rather, Jesus is the most important figure in history, and the gospel is the most powerful force in the universe. I am learning not to be passionate about empty things, but to cultivate passion for justice, grace, truth, and communicate the idea that Jesus likes people and even loves them."
4 comments:
Belief is of great importance, but many people believe. Believing you're right to believe and others are wrong for their beliefs is the root of many of our problems that continues from before Christ until this very day.
Don't think that the fact you believe that something is lost because someone else believes something different. Your beliefs do not depend on any one else.
Oldude59
Thanks for your comments. I'm not sure how you found my blog or if I know you.
While I appreciate your comments, and despite the fact that I do believe in absolute truth (although I do not agree in pounding people over the head with my truth but approaching people with love and respect), I will not get into a debate on this blog because this is a blog that is intended mostly for family and friends to keep track of our little family's life and times.
Occasionally I make a post about religion because the blog is a kind of journal to share those thoughts with family and friends. As for the posts that are political - well, I am slowly learning that I would do better to just keep my political thoughts to myself.
I am aware that in the blog world there are many blogs that are intended to start debate and discussion. This is not one of those.
I wish you the best.
I'm reading it now and am enjoying it very much. My dad also read it a while ago and I've heard from many people that it is worth the read. So now that I don't have quite as much reading I'm working my way slowly through it :)
Happy Turkey Day!!!
I love Blue Like Jazz---and I think by now most of our friends have read it...I dont even know where our copy is anymore...it has been passed around so much :)
Glad you are enjoying it. We are doing a day full of homework, and then celebrating at 5pm. Will be thinking about you.
Love to all- Mariana
Post a Comment