Monday, November 27, 2006

Geiger Family

Me and my cousin Susan.
I haven't seen her in years. She got married a month ago to a man from LaFayette (go figure) and lives about 1/2 hour from us. We have plans to get together soon!
By the way, I think we kinda look alike. :-)
Justin (Susan's new husband), Susan and Grandma Barbara.
A group of people were playing domino's - it got kinda competitive.
Uncle Henry, Aunt Gayle (they live in Birmingham), cousin Brenda (her husband Boyd and thier 5 children were also there), and Grandpa.
They were the other half of the domino's game.
At the other end of the table a trivial pursuit game was going on.
Cousin Ernie (back safe from Iraq), his girlfriend (I don't remember her name...), cousin Jody (her 5 kids were there too), and Aunt Glenda.
Uncle Ernie was cooking the hamburgers and hotdogs and somehow I didn't get a picture of him.

On Saturday afternoon we took a beautiful drive up the mountain into Mentone, Alabama for a small reunion of the Geiger family. It was at a gorgeous state park that we have now discovered and want to go back to again. The day was perfect, sunny and about 70 degrees. We met so many family members that I haven't seen in years and years. So it was a bit overwhelming. I mean, you would think you have a lot to talk about but after so many years it is almost like, where do we begin. But, it was neat to see everyone.
We relived a lot of memories. Memories of playing at Aunt Gayle's farm. Susan and I had memories from all the time we spent together in Willow Grove, and our trip when we were younger to visit my Grandma Rachel in Florida.
There were kids everywhere! About 13 in all I think. But a big playground kept them all busy.
My cousin Rachel wasn't there. She is expecting her first baby in May. I am hoping to reconnect with her, since she lives in Birmingham.
After a day of running around outside Jeremiah was completely exhausted. We left the park at 6pm and it only took him about 30 seconds to fall asleep with his teddy tucked under his arm.

After this busy Thanksgiving weekend I am reminded of the connections we have to family. We may not see them often. They may be completely different from us. They may annoy us sometimes. But we are connected.
 Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

icajay said...

I'm so glad you had an awesome weekend! We did too but it went so fast and now I'm struggling a little bit today to get oriented. A client canceled this morning which threw me off...pray that I can change internships and get enough hours in!!

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

You and Susan do look alike - you both have alot of Geiger in you. Neat that you could reconnect, and that she lives so close to you now! Amazing.
Love, Aunt Carol.
P.S. When I sign in as a blogger (which I think I have an identity as on the Viss blog - Norm, can you help me on this?) it says I am invalid! (I'm trying not to get a complex from that, but anyway...) So that is why I am signing in as 'anonymous' (which might also give me a complex if I have to do it too much longer! :)