Monday, March 23, 2009

Cloth Diapers Rock!


I always wanted to use cloth diapers but was afraid. It seemed so complicated and time consuming. Last week we took the plunge and made the switch and I am kicking myself for not starting with cloth diapers for Jeremiah. Maybe if I tell you what I love (and how simple it is!) you will be inspired to try it too.
Here is what I love!
1. I love that I am being environmentally friendly. I am no longer throwing away hundreds of disposable diapers that will take 25 years to decompose and leach chemicals into the ground!
2. I love that I am saving money!
The initial investment in cloth diapers is hefty (a few hundred dollars for the kind we chose, but you can certainly go cheaper). But when I did the math we figured that even if we only use these cloth diapers for another 18 months (until Nathaniel is 3) we will have saved almost $500.00! If we had started using cloth with Jeremiah for a total of 6 years of diapering we would probably have saved close to $2,000.00! I was initially thinking that the cost of water and electricity to launder the diapers would increase but a friend told me that their water bill only increased by $3.00 per month when laundering diapers for an infant and that she hardly noticed any rise in their electricity bill. So 10 months of extra water would equal 1 months supply of disposable diapers. We really and truly are saving money here!
3. I love the actual feel and look of the diapers!
These are not the boring, complicated cloth diapers of yester-year. We now have a basket full of soft, comfy diapers in all kinds of cute juicy colors. We chose diapers that work exactly like a disposable diaper with velcro tabs and a simple pocket insert. No folding, no pins, no covers. We also chose a one-size diaper which is supposed to last from infancy until potty training. It makes me feel good as a parent to put a soft, chemical free dipe on Nathaniel's little bottom and know that he is probably more comfy.
Another plus - no sign of diaper rash since we switched! Did you know that traditional diaper rash ointments have all kinds of toxins in them? I have been spending some extra money to get the more natural kind. Now I don't think I will need to.
4. I love that there isn't as much work as I thought. Really.
When I take off the diaper I remove the insert and throw it all in a covered bucket that I have next to the changing table (poopy gets plopped in the potty). I throw them in the wash every other day. The washer does all the work. I throw them in the dryer. When I take them out of the dryer I don't even fold them, I just throw them in the diaper basket that sits on top of the dresser. That's it. Maybe an extra 10 - 15 minutes of work every other day!
5. I love that Nathaniel loves these diapers!
He loves the colors and is now learning yellow and green. I always let him choose what color to wear next. The other day when we were going to the store I put a disposable diaper on Nathaniel. He immediately protested and said, "cwof dipe mama!" Enough said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A wise friend of mine who does cloth diapering told me to not stress about cloth diapers until after the baby got here. So now, a month into it, with a baby who is gaining weight well, I'm starting to get serious. Those are the style of diaper I want as well. Where did you buy yours? How many did you get?