Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Online School

(Sorry this picture is rotated wrong, I can't seem to fix it.)


We are now in week 3 of school. We still have some kinks to work out and things to adjust to but I think that we are at least getting into the habit of doing some school work every day. Last week was spent trying to get Jeremiah up to speed in some of the curriculum. I spent a lot of time on the computer going through the subjects and units and trying to assess him up to where I think is more his level. I will not lie, this was a frustrating process! Because all of the lessons are on-line I have to sit behind the computer and scroll through each individual lesson to see what it contains. But I think that Jeremiah won't get as bored if we are working on things that are new and interesting to him.

We did take yesterday off official school. We had had a busy weekend and I was tired and overwhelmed with a messy house, grocery lists to make, laundry to catch up on etc. etc. Both of the boys were tired from a number of late nights in a row. So while we did do the things we do every day (reading and writing practice) we basically just hung out and re-energized. That is a definite plus side of home schooling!

One of the parts of this k12/GCA school is the on-line classroom. This morning, Jeremiah sat at the computer, logged into a virtual classroom, and got to meet his teacher and hear the other students (from all over the north west Georgia area). These classes will be offered once a week as well as small group classrooms (children grouped by ability) once a month. Jeremiah seemed to really enjoy it, and since he is familiar with how to operate a mouse and keyboard it was fairly easy for him to pick up the operations of the on-line classroom. These classes are not required, but I think it is helpful for Jeremiah to have a teacher other than me that he can interact with. Plus, he likes anything that he can do on the computer.

2 comments:

Alli said...

He looks so cute sitting at the computer! I'm going to show this pic to Fuller so he can "see" one of his classmates (and job his memory who Jeremiah is).

Anonymous said...

Imagine what our childhood would have been like, if there was such a thing as on-line schooling...