Thursday, June 16, 2011

Read Alouds - Getting a head start on school


We love to read in this house. As a child I always had my nose in a book. Even now my two addictions are reading and sleep. If I could find a way to do both of those at the same time I would have it made! We have read to both boys since they were newborns. Our outing to the library is a highlight of the week. No matter how hard I try to limit the number of books we bring home, we always end up with a huge stack of books just waiting to be read. Jeremiah started reading himself when he was 2 1/2 years old! Even though Nathaniel (at 4 years) is just now showing an interest in learning his letters, he has always loved to sit quietly and listen to me read. Which is amazing since this child rarely sits still and quiet for anything!

When I received our Sonlight Curriculum and started reading through my Instructor's Guide I realized that we could easily start doing the "Read-Aloud" portion of the curriculum this summer. We have a time for reading aloud every day anyway, why not just get a jump start on what we need to get done for the school year? Especially since the books look like so much fun!

This afternoon, after a busy and tiring morning, we snuggled on the couch and started in on Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. Even though my Instructor's guide only had the first 2 chapters scheduled the boys begged for more. I was happy to comply.

(Scheduled Read-Alouds for 2011-2012 school year: Charlotte's Web, Detectives in Toga's, Favorite Poems of Childhood, Follow My Leader, Greek Myths, Henry Huggins, Homer Price, Little Pear, Mountain Born, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Understood Betsy, The Year of Miss Agnes)


2 comments:

Bekah Tuggy said...

I *love* Understood Betsy! And am rather fond of several of the rest of those. =) I want to come over for reading time at your house!

Bennito said...

I think this is really cool. You are doing such a good job with the boys!
The more reading the better, I think. As I read your blog, theres a lot of it, that I want to "copy" from you, so to speak with my own children.