Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Answer to prayer

This will hopefully be the last entry in my saga about vaccinations. Keep scrolling down for a post and pics on Nathaniel's 3 month milestone.
I went to the pediatrician's office this morning with some trepidation. I hate conflict. I will do almost anything to avoid it. Even though I am Nathaniel's parent and the doctor has to do what I request I didn't want to get into a whole thing with the doctor about our choice regarding the vaccination schedule. So I was a bit nervous, but had been praying for God to give me wisdom, clarity of thought, and strength. I left Jeremiah at a friends house so that I could really concentrate for this appointment.
At first things did not bode well. After the nurse did the initial weighing and measuring she started talking about getting his vaccinations ready. I asked to to please wait because I wanted to talk to the doctor (actually we see a nurse practitioner, NP) first. The nurse kinda gave me a look and said, "You know if you want to split up the shots than the baby ends up getting more shots." in a tone of voice that implied that I wanted to intentionally harm my son. So I was even more nervous about talking to the NP.
Well, Robbin (the NP) came in and was so sweet to me and Nathaniel! She talked easily to us while she examined him. When we started talking about the vaccines she was very understanding and sat down with me for about 20 minutes to look over the schedule that I had brought along and make sure that we did it right. She was very interested in where my information came from (I had the book in my bag) and seemed impressed with the book at first glance, saying she was going to order it to read it herself. She told me that she gets frustrated with parents who just flat out say, "I don't want my kids to have shots" but don't have information. She said that she was impressed with our research on the subject and that we were obviously parents who want to do the right thing as safely as we can. As we continued to talk it turns out that not only is she a Christian, but she attends the new PCA church in north Chattanooga!
I told her that she was an answer to prayer and told her about my fears of coming to the pediatrician with a different vaccine schedule. I left the doctors office in awe once again of God's provision for me. He had answered my prayers above and beyond what I could imagine. I am so thankful for His love and care!
Now I am praying that Nathaniel will not have any adverse reactions to the shots. I hate it when my kids have shots. That cry when they first get pricked is the most pitiful cry ever and cuts straight to my heart. And I never sleep well the night after shots, I keep getting up to check for breathing or elevated temperature. Silly mom stuff.

No comments: