Friday, November 30, 2007

Not About Me

The past few weeks I have been worrying and selfish. I have been worrying about money, clothing, cars, my weight, my parenting abilities, our upcoming trip.
I just saw a story on the news about 3 young boys who have lost their parents to AIDS and their older brother who was caring for them in a car accident. The 3 boys were simply sitting in front of their "house" with empty, hopeless looks in their eyes. Every once in a while silent tears would roll down their faces.
God suddenly showed me that I was sitting in my comfortable house, a kitchen full of food, a paycheck being deposited in my bank account, my 2 children safe and healthy, and the prospect of a fun trip with my family to look forward to.
I was ashamed of my selfishness.
I was ashamed of my worry over temporary and wordly things.
I was ashamed that I have done nothing this week to show God's love to anyone outside of my immediate family.
God continues to show me that my life here on this earth is not intended to be about me. Everything I have been given is a gift. It is my continued prayer that God will show me ways to reach out to others so that my life is spent not in worry over myself (clothing, stuff, image) but in service to Him.

No comments: