Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hope (?)

It is hard not to feel the enthusiasm and excitement of the historic inauguration that is taking place today. There is so much joy and hope in the air and this is a day where I am proud to be an American. I am often moved to tears when I think of a black man taking the oath of office on the steps of a buiding whose foundation was laid by slaves. I am exstatic that my children will grow up in an America where they can truly see that anything really is possible.
And yet....
As I watched some of the early morning coverage on CNN the news crawl along the bottom of the screen chilled my heart. "Obama aides outline busy first week.....Obama intends to review abortion laws." (Of course we haven't heard any news coverage of that issue on the major news networks.)
What a contrast. We have come so far as a nation, and yet part of me feels like in other ways we are going backward if we cannot protect the least vulnerable among us, those who have no voice of their own.
It also just so happens that this past Sunday was sanctity of life Sunday. A volunteer from a local crisis pregancy center shared about the difference that the programs of the center are making in this rural community where teen (and crisis) pregnancy tends to be normal. The work of that small center is phenomenal. They give free pregnancy tests, ultra sounds, adoption referral, parenting classes, mentoring, abstinence education in the local school system. These volunteers are on the front lines of the daily battle to save the unborn. It was a reminder that Christians need to give more than lip service to the abortion issue and volunteer their time and efforts.
In church this Sunday I noticed that we sang a lot of songs with hope in them. "My life is in you Lord, My hope is in you Lord", "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus name." We also sang songs about Christ's return and our promise of heaven. It was a good reminder. I am hopeful for some of the things that Obama will do for this nation. Other things that he has stood for I am not so excited about. I feel a lot of unease for the future of my children. And yet, this earth is not my home. I am here to work for Christ's kingdom in anyway I can until the ultimate promise of His return in fulfilled. That is my hope.
----
Edit: I found some interesting links:
John Piper, Being a Pro-Life Christian Under a Pro-Choice President
Implications of the Freedom of Choice Act

No comments: