Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Thinking Through School




As tends to happen with Jeremiah he has all of the sudden exploded in the area of reading. The concept of linking all the phonetic sounds has been something he has been working on in the past few weeks (months really) and he has done really well reading individual words. Now a light has gone off in his head and he is realizing that he can read whole sentences. After we got back from the library on Monday he read this whole new Thomas book by himself!
Jeremiah has also learned how to work the computer mouse by himself and the Starfall website has provided him with hours of reading and fun entertainment. We have started setting the timer to limit computer time because he would play on it all day if he could.
All of this is leading Aaron and I to a lot of prayer and discussion about Jeremiah's schooling options. Our goal for our children is that they enjoy learning and we don't want Jeremiah to end up bored in school. On the other hand, I am just not sure that I am cut out for homeschooling. I was never really a big fan of it (don't get mad at me, I'm just not) and Jeremiah's relationship with me is at a stage where I am not sure that me being his primary teacher would be helpful. As for any kind of private school, there is no way we could afford any kind of tuition unless Aaron was to teach at one. We know that Jeremiah is only 4, but the reality that school decisions are not that far away are part of our thought process as we think about our future.
On Saturday Aaron had to work the clock at the middle school basketball games. I sat with the boys on the top row of bleachers and watched a community of people interact. I realized that when I think about my boys being in school I see imagine much more than just education. I imagine our whole family being part of a community. I want my boys to be exposed to people who are different than they are. I want them to have more skills than just educational skills.
So you see, there is a lot to sift and sort through. Right now I am reading Choosing Your Child's School by David W. Smith which outlines pro's and con's of public, private, Christian, and home schooling. It has been insightful. I hope to order a few more books to start reading soon.
Any thoughts or ideas?

3 comments:

Amy Ross said...

My suggestion would be to check out every possibility...visit any and every school he could/might attend...talk to homeschoolers, visit co-ops, look at curriculum, and mostly PRAY! Pray not only for direction to make the best decision, but to have peace after that decision is made...and take it a step at time.
*And not to push homeschooling, I know it isn't for everyone, but you have to think outside of the typical sterotype of what homeschooling is thought to be. We have way more interaction with people of different ages, backgrounds, races, etc. than you'd think! I couldn't homeschool if I didn't have the community I have, that's for sure!
I'd suggest just keeping and open mind to everything at this point, since you have a while to decide.

Anonymous said...

it will be interesting to see what you and i decide for our respective boys... i lean towards a christian environment with something for austin's special needs but i don't know if the location we will move to will have something for him...

jess

roadrunner201 said...

I am a huge fan of home school (when it is done right) but I also know from working in the county that your area school (N. LaF) is a great school. If he seemed bored, you could have him tested for their gifted program.

Here are some websites that provide completely free home school curricula (well, you have to buy some of the books) and they both center on reading:
http://www.amblesideonline.org/index2.shtml
http://oldfashionededucation.com/index.html