Friday, July 13, 2007

Less than 2 months now!

As the count down to Nathaniel's birth continues we are now down to 7 weeks! Can you believe it? Time just keeps marching on and this little boy is going to be here before we know it. Our pastor's wife Kimberly calls the last weeks of pregnancy the ultimate time of living in the "already, not yet." (Those of you from Covenant who attended a class with Dr. Krabbendam will remember that phrase.)
For some reason that I can't quite identify this has been a rough week for me in all aspects; physically, emotionally and spiritually. I have spent the whole week feeling like I am just dragging around and am one step behind where I am supposed to be. Once again mundane tasks (like washing dishes or making dinner) seem like monumental undertakings.
On Monday I received some encouragement from someone I really respect. We were talking in the church parking lot (I was picking up Jeremiah's bag that we had left there and she was dropping off her daughter to leave for the high school camp) and she encouraged me that right now my first priorities were to take care of the baby inside me and take care of Jeremiah. That's it. I should not feel guilty that at this time in my life I do not have time or energy to do more. She was so sweet and encouraging to me and I am so thankful that God orchestrated that conversation.
The one thing that has kept me going this week is knowing that today is Aaron's last day at DFCS! After today we will have one whole week to spend together as a family - however we want. I can't wait!
Jeremiah has turned into a real cuddle-bug lately. He loves to give hugs and kisses and sometimes just wants to cuddle with me on the couch. He is also becoming a very independent little man in other ways. Here are some things that we dare not do for him or there will be a major meltdown; throw away the dirty diaper, close a door, feed the dog, take off his clothes before bath time. We as parents are now also trying to find our way through the minefield of consistent and loving discipline. How to stop the screaming? How to encourage obedience the first time we ask? It is a definite challenge and we are learning how to communicate better with eachother and exercise huge amounts of patience. Any advice would be welcome. :-)

2 comments:

shelmo said...

i was so stinking thankful when the pastor at our last church would say that to us moms. he would say "right now, your calling is to be a momma. don't overextend yourself with church stuff." i love it!
-this is jess

Amy Ross said...

I know that it hasn't gone by fast for you, but I can't believe you are about to hold that sweet little baby!! And my advice for parenting during all of this...(and I am sure you already do this) coat EVERYTHING in prayer... make your day a conversation with God. It is hard with little ones to sit down and have "formal" prayer time, so be creative...pray in the car, in the shower, at the park...Wish I could be closer! I'll try to call you back this week.