Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A little green monster

The person I hired to be the new supervisor for MCC (Karen) has a 6 month old son named Roger. They were here last week for an informational/planning meeting. Roger played on a blanket on the floor. Jeremiah watched him with some interest. He was especially eyeing Roger's toys with interest. I asked Jeremiah if he wanted to share some of his toys with Roger and then maybe Roger would let Jeremiah see his toys. Jeremiah ran over and got out his blocks. These distracted Roger who then spent a good amount of time and energy rolling around the blanket trying to collect some blocks. Jeremiah took two of Roger's toy's to play with, one in each hand. Suddenly Jeremiah noticed that Roger had a block in his mouth. Jeremiah promptly says, "give back block!" I told him that since he had one of Roger's toys in each hand I thought he had made a pretty good deal and should quit while he was ahead.
This morning I told Jeremiah that Miss Karen and baby Roger were coming to visit again. He was pretty excited and kept asking all morning for "baby Rotert." We had a little conversation about being gentle with the baby and not taking his toys without asking etc. etc. When they arrived we again put blanket on the floor and let Roger commence with his play. Jeremiah decided to go to his room and play. I was itching to get my hands on the baby and Karen graciously let me hold him. As he was sitting in my lap and I was making silly baby faces and generally glorying in the feel of a soft, chunky baby Jeremiah decided to reappear. He took one look at me and the baby and said emphatically, "no mama no!" He then ran over to me and grabbed my arm trying to pull it off of Roger. It took a few minutes for me to calm him down and distract him by showing him he could count the baby's toes. The rest of the morning he stayed right by my side and wanted to sit in my lap. He was not about to let the baby usurp his place in my lap.
The adjustment to a new baby in the house may be a bit more challenging than I originally thought....
However, tonight Jeremiah kept wanting to read the books about "baby no-tanel come" (baby Nathaniel coming). We shall see.

1 comment:

Amy Ross said...

At least he's a bit older than Samuel was when I brought home James. Samuel was just 18 months and only said a handful of words. The two that he said the most were, "NO, BABY." Whenever I nursed James. And now they are the best of buddies...so he'll come around, don't worry! But yes, it is an adjustment for EVERYONE when a baby comes home. I have already been praying for your family's adjusting to little Nathanial!