My homework for my Bible study this week is called the "Tongue Assignment." No - it does not involve kissing! hee hee For one week I am not to:
- Gossip
- Complain
- Criticize
- Blameshift (or make excuses)
- Defend myself
- Boast
- Deceive others
WOW! As you can imagine I have failed miserably and am only two days into it. Yesterday in Wal-Mart I had to wait in the check-out line for a long time and complained about it to a friend I saw there. I realized as I was leaving that I had complained but then I thought - well, I did have to wait for like 20 minutes and Jeremiah was getting antsy and........ oops, defending myself & making excuses.......
As I was praying last night I realized that in the past few months I have not really had a problem seeing my sin. I am pretty good at feely guilty constantly about things that I am not doing right. The problem is that I am still not able to let the knowledge of my sin drive me to the grace of Christ's work for me on the cross. I still want to fix my sin myself. My problem is simply allowing myself to be still and accept the gift I have been given - no if's, and's or but's. Why why why is this so hard?
- Gossip
- Complain
- Criticize
- Blameshift (or make excuses)
- Defend myself
- Boast
- Deceive others
WOW! As you can imagine I have failed miserably and am only two days into it. Yesterday in Wal-Mart I had to wait in the check-out line for a long time and complained about it to a friend I saw there. I realized as I was leaving that I had complained but then I thought - well, I did have to wait for like 20 minutes and Jeremiah was getting antsy and........ oops, defending myself & making excuses.......
As I was praying last night I realized that in the past few months I have not really had a problem seeing my sin. I am pretty good at feely guilty constantly about things that I am not doing right. The problem is that I am still not able to let the knowledge of my sin drive me to the grace of Christ's work for me on the cross. I still want to fix my sin myself. My problem is simply allowing myself to be still and accept the gift I have been given - no if's, and's or but's. Why why why is this so hard?
(Note: Is posting comments about Jeremiah's accomplishments considered boasting?) :-)
2 comments:
I don't know if it's considered boasting especially because I love to hear what he is doing now :) I have to agree with you though because I'm trying to work on all those things and actually need to write an email to two friends because i complained yesterday morning and then gossiped yesterday afternoon and by the time i got in the car to go home from work felt awful about my tongue and day...i just don't get why i have such a hard time...
Wow, that's some assingnment. Unfortunately I would fail! Jeremiah is super cute in the pool! I wish we were closer so our boys could play together! My boys are little fish and love to be in the water, but of course living in south florida if you are outside in the summer it'd better be in water!
Post a Comment