I don't know a lot about President Ford, which came as a surprise to me since I am something of a history buff and enjoy learning about the past. But of course today the news was full of people talking about his presidency and remembering him as a man. The phrases I heard over and over again were that he was a regular guy, he never sought the presidency, he was able to unite the country after very tumultuous times, he was able to restore America's trust in the office of the presidency. There were many stories about him being able to complete his political goals while still being curteous and friendly with his political opponents. I also heard it said a number of times that he was honest and told the American people the truth.
I thought about that this evening while doing the dishes.
I did not live through Watergate or Vietnam. But as I listened to journalists talk about the distrust and cynicism that people had at that time toward the government and the office of the presidency, I could relate.
Maybe what this country needs right now is a man (or woman) who does not actually want to be president. Someone who will not let the power of the office go to their head. Someone who will not make decisions in office based on how it will effect their political career. Someone who will speak honestly to the people. I am praying that God will raise up someone in 2008 who will not fit the regular politician mode - someone who can restore my trust in the government and the presidency. But, I am cynical of that actually happening.....
1 comment:
Amen! Unfortunately I don't know if such a person exists...
Post a Comment