Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Confessions of an inadequate housewife

Yesterday Aaron had his day off work and so we did a lot of stuff around the house. And I realized that while my house is not dirty enough to report me to Child Protective Services it is dirty enough to just be kinda gross. In general I can think of nothing I would rather do less than clean my house. It seems to pointless. I wash the dishes and 2 minutes later there are more dishes stacked up. I make my bed only to have it get messed up again when I get back in it. I dust the furniture and 2 days later there is another layer of dust. I vacuum the floor and a few hours later I see dog hair balls on the floor again. You get the picture..... Plus, have you ever tried to do cleaning with an inquisitive toddler underfoot? Quite a challenge let me tell you.
Anyway, yesterday I got ambitious and mopped the hardwood floors that are in the living/dining room area. The mop water was extremely dirty (I will just leave it at that) and I was so suprised! I mean, I vacuum almost every day and use the Swiffer thingy every few days. How could this be? Then it hit me. I had not mopped the floors since we bought an area rug for our living room for our anniversary, which was in October. I know, it's sick. So confronted with the evidence of my negligence (the dirty mop water) I was overcome with guilt and went into a cleaning frenzy. The living room and dining room are sparkling clean this morning, not a speck of dust or dirt anywhere. The kitchen is the same. I even cleaned behind the stove! I consider that all a step in the right direction. The only question now is, how long will it stay that way and do I have the energy for the bedrooms and bathroom?
Now for a totally unrelated question. Does anyone out there know if it is possible to paint vinyl windows? Aaron and I have to replace the windows and for cost reasons we just want to get the white vinyl ones - problem, the trim on our house is "almond" and white will probably look bad (but is $125 less per window).....

1 comment:

icajay said...

rock on...i to be honest don't even want to think about doing a deep cleaning in our house b/c it is such a disaster....last night i resolved that the ceiling and walls need to be sweeped and wiped down as the cobwebs are slowly moving towards the floor...